Gellatly Heritage Regional Park is 2.6 hectare park in West Kelowna. It is packed with information on the history of the Gellatly family and has a paved pathway that will guide you around the cemetery and heritage buildings.
- Heritage buildings
- Century-old Gellatly family cemetery
- Picnic area
- Short, interpretive trail
- Motorized vehicles, overnight camping, open fires, and smoking are not permitted.
- Please use and properly dispose of garbage or pet waste in containers provided or at home.
- Dogs are welcome on-leash along trails and pathways within park boundaries.
- Please pick up and properly dispose of pet waste in containers provided or at home.
January 1 – February 28 6:00 am to 6:00 pm
March 1 – May 31 6:00 am to 9:00 pm
June 1 – August 31 6:00 am to 11:00 pm
September 1 – October 14 6:00 am to 9:00 pm
October 15 – December 31 6:00 am to 6:00 pm
Winter: Park visitors may experience weather related natural hazards.
Follow Highway 97 south and get off at the Glenrosa Road interchange and follow Gellatly Road, turn onto Whitworth Road. The park and parking area is on your left.
Many people in the later 1800s heard the call from the west, and consequently moved their families out that way. The Okanagan Valley was slowly explored and claimed. Billy Powers, for whom Powers Creek is named after, claimed a piece of land just outside of Westbank. Unluckily, Powers only resided on this land named Powers Flat (Gellatly), from 1889-1890. During this time Powers constructed himself a log home and barn.
Powers was not the only one who saw this piece of land as a jewel. Later in 1890, G H Rashdales (known for the construction of the Enderby Grist Mill) claimed this land as his own. However, in 1892 Rashdale mortgaged it to Rev. George Hill (British Columbia’s first Bishop).
In 1900, the records show that Powers Flat was placed into the possession of a family by the name of Gellatly. David Gellatly and wife Eliza, both from Scotland immigrated to Canada with their infant son David in 1883. Originally residing in Ontario the family moved to Vernon in 1893 (now with 2 sons and 4 daughters).
David worked as a carpenter for two years before renting land at Shorts Point (Fintry) and beginning a farming career. Unable to buy the land at Shorts Point, Gellatly went in search for the perfect piece of land. In 1900 Gellatly found Powers Flat (Gellatly).
A Gellatly family descendent, Ferne Jean spearheaded the acquisition and development of the park. The Gellatly family and Regional Parks formed a partnership in 1996 and the original family home and barn were donated by R.J. Bennett and moved from his property on Gellatly Flats up the hill to the park. The buildings were restored and the grand opening of the park was celebrated in the summer of 2000.
I would like to receive more information about Regional Parks & Events