Annual BBQ Fundraiser - sat. Aug. 10th - 2:00 - 8:00 pM @ La Casa - More Details
Mission Statement - 'The Willingness To Serve, The Courage To Act And The Ability To Perform'
The North Westside community is a rural area within the unincorporated Central Okanagan West Electoral Area accessed via Westside Road.
The Fire District covers approximately 2,500 properties with an estimated 1,200 residents sparsely spread throughout a fire protection area of some 900 square kilometres. It includes several neighbourhoods: Westshore Estates, Killiney Beach, Estamont, Valley of the Sun, Upper Fintry, Fintry, La Casa and Caesar's Landing. (Fire Protection Area Map)
The forest makeup throughout the area is dominantly pine with the occasional pockets of fir, cedar, spruce and balsam. Its coniferous makeup includes alder, poplar and birch.
North Westside is served by three fire stations: the main hall and Administration office Station 101 on Udell Road; a second hall Station 102 on Westside Road and the third Station 103 just off Killiney Beach. Each hall meets the Fire Underwriters’ Survey level of 3B qualifying surrounding residents and their properties for insurance discounts.
Administration office – Station 101 – 514 Udell Road, Killiney Beach
Non-emergency (250) 545-1195
Apparatus and Equipment
News and Events
- Open House - Tuesday, January 22nd
Thanks to everyone who came out to meet your firefighters at our Open House. We hope we were able to show you what they do and give a better understanding of the commitment, equipment and training involved. Many even tried their hand at some firefighting skills!
Anyone interested in becoming a paid-on-call North Westside firefighter should call 250-545-1195 and leave their name, phone number and email address. Potential recruits will be contacted. Applications and recruitment information is also available for downloading and printing on the RDCO website www.regionaldistrict.com/firerecruit.
- 2018 Fundraising BBQ - Saturday, August 11th - 2pm - 8pm - amenities area of La Casa Cottage Resort
Thanks to everyone for once again supporting the Annual BBQ. Your support and donations helped raise $12,000.00. 100% of this money goes back into the community. Past years fundraising helped by valuable firefighting equipment and support local events and groups.
The firefighters would like to thank La Casa Resort for hosting the event and could not do it without their generous sponsors including special thanks to Fisher's Home Hardware, RBC Vernon, Trutec Contracting Ltd. and Godoy's Insurance Only Inc.
Thank you from All your North Westside Firefighters!
- A Killiney Beach man is crediting his dogs for saving his life last spring and they've received an award for their heroic efforts.
Matt Smith's truck left Westside Road as he returned from Kelowna on the evening of April 9th, rolling downhill, landing on its wheels on a lower access road near Estamont. Ruth a two-year-old Akbash/yellow Labrador/border collie cross and Ruth’s aunt Lady, a seven-year-old yellow Labrador/border collie cross stayed with him and alerted a nearby resident who was returning home from work. If the dogs hadn't alerted him, it's likely Matt wouldn't have been found until daylight. The man called 9-1-1 and North Westside Fire Rescue members responded just before 10:25, and found Matt face down, unconscious and suffering heavy trauma, a short distance from his truck. His dogs were laying by his side, to help keep him warm in the near freezing temperatures.
Today, Matt, his wife (a former NWFR member) and dogs are living in Campbell River and he continues his recovery. Ruth and Lady proudly wear their Purina Animal Hall of Fame award collars!
Watch their story https://youtu.be/SKZRAb335N4
- 2017 Annual BBQ Fundraiser - thanks to everyone for their great support as this year's event raised over $15,300 during our event in the amenities area of La Casa Lakeside Resort! Funds raised go towards the North Westside Firefighters Society scholarship program and to purchase 'special' non-budgeted equipment for the department.
- Donation from Shelter Cove Property Owners
North Westside Fire Rescue Society
Outdoor Open Burning
The outdoor burning season is regulated in the Central Okanagan East and Central Okanagan West Electoral Areas in part by the Regional Fire Prevention and Regulations Bylaw No. 1066 and the Smoke Control Bylaw No. 773. Member municipal governments have similar regulations, which empower local fire chiefs to determine the open burning season.
- Depending on the fire hazard, season normally runs October 1st to April 30th throughout the Central Okanagan.
- Only eligible property owners with a permit from their local fire authority will be allowed to burn after phoning the Open Burning Hotline 1-855-262-2876 which will tell them whether venting and air quality permit burning that day. On a day that burning is allowed, it's recommended burning begin later in the morning, as venting conditions are usually better after 10:00 am.
- Here are the active Burn Permits issued by the Regional District for property owners within the Ellison, Joe Rich, North Westside and Wilson's Landing Fire Protection areas (updated monthly during outdoor burning season)
Current Open Burning Status - Open Burning Season For 2018- 2019 Begins October 1st - View News Release
Residents with a valid permit are required to check the air quality conditions on the day that they want to burn. Conditions are updated daily at approximately 8:00 am. The conditions can also be accessed by calling 1-855-262-BURN (2876).