The Westside Landfill located off Asquith Road in West Kelowna is closed and stopped receiving waste materials in mid-2010, earlier than anticipated before reaching its full design capacity, in part in response to existing and developing nearby residential neighbourhoods.
The Westside Residential Waste Disposal and Recycling Centre is located at the site and has both a recycling and transfer station for residential waste disposal. This facility is not affected by the proposed Final Closure Plan and will continue operating as it currently is, for the foreseeable future.
Landfill Closure Plan Information
- November 2018 - this project is now complete.
- Fall 2018 - the bulk fill placement of landfill cover material was completed in the spring. The final grading, swale and seeding will be completed in the fall 2018.
- May 4th - Construction on final closure works will begin the week of May 7th and continue for approximately two months. View Details and updates on our Major Projects webpage
- On March 26th the Regional Board received an update on the Landfill Closure Plan project.
The Final Closure Plan provides an update to the landfill closure plan prepared in 2011 and consolidates various proposed changes into a single, updated closure plan. The background of the closure planning process is provided in the document.
The BC Ministry of Environment approved the Final Closure Plan in fall 2017. The Regional District anticipates proceeding with closure activities in Spring 2018.
Monitoring of the site, surface water, ground water and landfill gases will continue for approximately 25 years. Historical monitoring results can be found in the Annual Reports below. The Closure Plan does not include details of any end use plan for the former landfill property.
The Provincial Ministry of Environment required all existing landfills to submit a closure plan by December 31, 1995. The Regional District of Central Okanagan has had a Westside Sanitary Landfill Operations and Closure Plan in place since mid-1993.
In preparation for closing the site to active landfilling, extensive public and stakeholder consultation was done during 2008 and 2009 through public meetings and on-site and online questionnaires.
Additional Links of Interest:
- Westside Landfill Newsletter (Click here to be added to our email distribution list)