Come and explore this fun environmental discovery centre, where it's okay to learn, touch and discover!
The EECO (pronounced ee-COH) is a wealth of information and fun exhibits on environmental subjects like water, Okanagan flora and fauna, and local ecosystems. We encourage you and your family to participate in our hands activities!
The EECO is located in Mission Creek Regional Park (Springfield and Durnin Roads) and is steps away from park trails, a playground and your connection to the Mission Creek Greenway.
- EECO Exhibits - Check out our exhibit 'Alien Invaders - Nasty or Nice?' You'll learn about invasive and introduced species. A few of these have had negative impacts of the native species that are a part of the sensitive Okanagan ecosystem. Learn about the difference between non-native and invasive species, and a few things that you can do to help reduce the spread of invasive species. Until July 22nd the travelling Royal BC Museum exhibition ‘Aliens Among Us’ is also on display. The exhibition tells the stories of how the invasive species arrived in the province, what individuals can do to protect their communities and how these aliens fit in – or don't fit in – with their environments.
- From August to October each year check out the 'Kokanee' exhibit. featuring information and activities related to the Kokanee salmon.
- 'Story Time at the EECO' - this program for three and four year olds and their caregivers keeps young ones active, engaged and involved.
- Discovery Backpacks - everything you need to explore and learn about three different environmental aspects of Mission Creek Regional Park: Pond Study, Nature Walk and Kokanee. Come into the EECO and sign one out for free!
- Spring Break Camps - The 'Nature Detectives Spring Break Camps' go each spring. The three day morning sessions are for youngsters aged five to 10. The cost per three day session is $75 per child. You can get more information by contacting the EECO staff at 250-469-6139 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Summer Nature Camps - check out these summer morning sessions during July and August to keep your child active with indoor and outdoor experiences. They're fun and designed to encourage an appreciation of our natural environment.
- Watch for special programs and events by checking the Calendar of Events.
School and Public Programs
Hours of Operation:
November to March 9th -
- Tuesday to Sunday from 10:00 am - 3:00 pm
(closed Monday and some statutory holidays).
March 10th to October -
- Tuesday to Friday from 10:00 am - 6:00 pm
- Saturday and Sunday from 10:00 am - 5:00 pm (closed Monday and some statutory holidays).
The top floor of the building provides space for environmental exhibits, trail and visitor information for the Central Okanagan, a children's play area, environmental resource library and more!
The bottom floor is available for rental by non-profit organizations which promote the protection of the environment, environmental education, and environmental recreation. The space contains a kitchen and holds up to 60 people in theatre style seating. It is available for booking from 7:00 am 10:00 pm daily.
The EECO is located in Mission Creek Regional Park at 2363 A Springfield Road (intersection of Springfield and Durnin Roads).
Take Springfield Road, turn at Durnin Road intersection into Mission Creek Regional Park.
I would like to receive more information about Regional Parks & Events