The Environmental Education Centre for the Okanagan (EECO)
Come and explore this fun environmental discovery centre, where it's okay to learn, touch and discover! The EECO (pronounced ee-COH) is a wealth of information and fun exhibits on environmental subjects like water, Okanagan flora and fauna, and local ecosystems. We encourage you and your family to participate in our hands activities!
The EECO is located in Mission Creek Regional Park (Springfield and Durnin Roads) and is steps away from park trails, a playground and your connection to the Mission Creek Greenway.
- EECO Exhibits - check our new exhibit 'Healthy by Nature' . Exploring this exhibit, which runs until late summer 2014, will help you learn how spending time in nature can keep your mind and body healthy. The exhibit also highlights the natural processes at work to keep our air and water clean along with ways that we can help protec the health of our ecosystems!
- 'Story Time at the EECO' - this program for three and four year olds and their caregivers keeps young ones active, engaged and involved. View Poster
- 'Something's Fishy' - this exhibit features information and activities related to the Kokanee salmon. It runs August to October each year.
- Discovery Backpacks - everything you need to explore and learn about three different environmental aspects of Mission Creek Regional Park: Pond Study, Nature Walk and Kokanee. Come into the EECO and sign one out for free!
- Watch for special programs and events by checking the Calendar of Events.
School and Public Programs
Hours of Operation:
November 1st to March -
- Tuesday to Sunday from 10:00 am - 3:00 pm
(closed Monday and some statutory holidays).
- Christmas-New Years Schedule 2013 - 2014
- The EECO will be closed over the holidays from Monday, December 23rd through Thursday, December 26th and Monday, December 30th through Wednesday, January 1st.
March 12th to October 14th -
- Tuesday to Friday from 10:00 am - 6:00 pm
- Saturday and Sunday from 10:00 am - 5:00 pm (closed Monday and some statutory holidays).
October 15th - closed for exhibit changeover.
October 16th to October 31st
- Tuesday to Friday from 10:00 am - 4:00 pm
- Saturday and Sunday from 10:00 am to 3:00 pm (closed Monday and some statutory holidays)
The top floor of the building provides space for environmental exhibits, trail and visitor information for the Central Okanagan, a children's play area, environmental resource library and more!
The bottom floor is available for rental by non-profit organizations which promote the protection of the environment, environmental education, and environmental recreation. The space contains a kitchen and holds up to 60 people in theatre style seating. It is available for booking from 7:00 am 10:00 pm daily.
For inquires and to book a program or the facility please contact us.
The EECO is located in Mission Creek Regional Park at 2363 A Springfield Road (intersection of Springfield and Durnin Roads).
Take Springfield Road, turn at Durnin Road intersection into Mission Creek Regional Park.